If the applicant resides in one of the under-listed States, the application for a “Letter of No Objection” should be sent to the Consulate General of Jamaica, 767 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017.
|New Jersey||New York||North Dakota||Ohio|
|Oregon||Pennsylvania||Rhode Island||South Dakota|
Requirements for a Letter of No Objection:
1. A written request signed by the applicant and addressed to the Consulate General of Jamaica, 767 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017. The letter must include the reason(s) for the request and the applicant’s Case Number and Third Party Barcode Page A
2. A copy of the applicant’s Resume
3. A notarized copy of the data page of the applicant’s Jamaican passport
4. A notarized copy of the applicant’s birth certificate
5. A notarized copy (copied back & front) of the applicant’s Jamaican Taxpayer Registration Card (TRN Card). Obtain a copy of the TRN Application Form at www.jamaicatax.gov.jm
6. A notarized copy of the applicant’s Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) StatusB
7. Notarized copies of the applicant’s US-J1 Visa and I-94 Record
8. Fee of $70.00 payable by local Money Order written to: The Consulate General of Jamaica.
Estimated processing time 3 to 6 months
Steps in the Process
- The applicant applies for a change of his/her J-1 Visa status at the US Department of State website www.travel.state.gov.
- The applicant’s cover letter, supporting documents and fee are sent to the Consular Office with jurisdiction for the state in which the applicant resides.
- The application is checked and if found compliant, it is forwarded to the Scholarship and Assistance Unit, Ministry of Finance and Planning, Jamaica for processing.
- If the application is non-compliant, the applicant is advised in writing of the necessary actions to be taken.
- When the application is approved, the Scholarship and Assistance Unit sends written notification to the Consulate.
- The Consulate informs the Embassy of Jamaica, Washington, C. of the approval and issues the Letter of No Objection, which is then forwarded to the US Department of State.
- The Consulate notifies the applicant by letter of the approval. The letter will also state that the Embassy of Jamaica, Washington, C. has been requested to issue the Letter of No Objection.
A, B For information and procedures on how to apply for the Waiver of the J Visa Residency Requirements, visit the US Department of State website at www.travel.state.gov. The applicant will be given a case number, which is to be stated in the request to the Consulate together with the Third Party Barcode Page as part of the application for the Waiver.