The first step in obtaining Permanent Visa status for Jamaica and eventually a Jamaican travel document is to establish residency either through Visa/Work Permit Application or Registration.
To reside in Jamaica each person should submit the following documents and particulars:
* Valid National Passport;
* Evidence of financial status and means of support – e.g. particulars of pension, bank account, property owned and business investments;
* Certified Copy of Birth Certificate;
* Marital status – Marriage Certificate, particulars of spouse, children and other dependents;
* Medical Certificate of good health;
* Police Certificate from the state from which you are migrating;
* Two (2) Passport size photographs;
* Reasons for seeking permanent residence in Jamaica;
* Names and addresses of two reputable references or acquaintances.
All applications are referred to Jamaica for approval which can take up to 3 – 4 months.
Residency through Work Permit
Persons applying for residency who will require employment to maintain themselves in Jamaica must also apply for a Work Permit. On approval of the Work Permit which is usually based on a job offer, a visa is automatically granted.
Commonwealth citizens are allowed to enter Jamaica without visas and not required to have Work Permits, although it is advisable that they apply for Permits prior to arrival where employment will be sought.